Forums Events Restaurants Articles Farms Caterers Subscribe! My Account

North Carolina BBQ Forums Q&A

Got Questions? We've got Answers!
Welcome to North Carolina BBQ Forums QA Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Why are there time gaps in the posts? - The forums were taken offline in ~2013 and were (finally) restored in 2023. Feel free to start a new thread or reply to an existing one.

Hickory/Fruit Wood Search...

Last post 12-28-2012, 2:48 PM by Another_Q_Lover. 3 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  03-23-2010, 5:53 PM 298

Hickory/Fruit Wood Search...

Does anyone know where I could get some Hickory and Applewood in bulk. I live in the Southern Pines area and am willing to travel every few weeks to pick some up. I'd also take other fruit woods if anyone has any.

I'm also looking for someone to get good local NC Pork Butts from. Any help would be appreciated.

Patrick

•  04-15-2010, 9:07 AM 333 in reply to 298

Re: Hickory/Fruit Wood Search...

Don't know about the wood supply, but as far as where to get "good local NC Pork Butts" - that depends on what you consider "local".  I usually get shoulders from "Bethesda Provision Company" in Durham (1712 Stage Road, Durham - (919) 596-2490) .  I just bought 20 shoulders at $1.05 per pound; each shoulder weighed between 16-18 pounds.  I have previously bought from Nahunta at the Raleigh Farmers Market (919) 832-1848 (Nahunta also has a location near Goldsboro - 200 Bertie Pierce Road, Pikeville (919) 242-4735), as well as from "Tom Inscoe Wholesale Meat", 4130 South Alston Avenue, Durham, (919) 544-1250.

Don't know if you mind the drive to Durham, but I highly recommend "Bethesda Provisions"!

Good luck!

Tom (aka "Another_Q_Lover" & "BBQ.TOM")
    CMJ w/ KCBS
    CBJ w/ MBN, NCPC, NCBS, & NCBBQA
    OBJ w/ BBQ Critic.com
    CTC w/ KCBS
    Pitmaster and Chef - 4 Lil' Pigs Competition Barbecue Team
    Author of "A 'Q' Review"
  •  04-21-2010, 10:11 PM 335 in reply to 298

Gotta second Nahunta...at either location, just call ahead and place your order...

No idea on the wood deal other than to try to find someone w/ a fruit orchard and see what they have to say...maybe find a sawmill/woodmill down there and see if they have something or know of someone who deals w/ hickory..
  •  12-28-2012, 2:48 PM 484 in reply to 335

I know that it has been a LONG time since this thread was started, but if you are still looking for apple wood I found a supplier in Morganton that is very reasonable. Only problem is that you have to pick it up. Just keep an eye out along the backroads for loads of firewood and you might get lucky with hickory.
    If anyone else knows of a apple wood supplier PLEASE let us know! THANKS!
    Tom (aka "Another_Q_Lover" & "BBQ.TOM")
    CMJ w/ KCBS
    CBJ w/ MBN, NCPC, NCBS, & NCBBQA
    OBJ w/ BBQ Critic.com
    CTC w/ KCBS
    Pitmaster and Chef - 4 Lil' Pigs Competition Barbecue Team
    Author of "A 'Q' Review"
View as RSS news feed in XML